Ok, let’s picture this scenario.

Jenny is at home for ONE full week without the kids or Jerome.

For many this is normal. For a mom of two little kids….this is a NICE little break. Let’s call it a mini-vacation.

I had been looking forward to this week for a long time. In fact, the kids go to the same camp up in Wisconsin with their cousins every year. It is their favorite week of the year. And, one of mine too. At 9 ½ years old…the kids need this where they swim, play paintball, do games, zipline, bungee jump on swings….oh yep!

So, there I was….driving up north dropping them all off. I drove home in peace in quiet and had the entire week to myself. All that stood between me and my bike was my lovely job and well…..the weather.

IF you had 1 week to yourself without your significant other OR kids what would you do?

A.) A.) Lay around the house naked, having parties, drinking beer and watching bad TV?

B.) B.) Train your ass off and go out with friends and do some work

C.) C.) Go to Tucson for a mini-getaway

D.) D.) Spend 2-3 days laying on the bathroom floor hoping your MOM will save you?

E.) E.) All of the above

OH dear friends, I decided that D would be the best option! DING DING DING, winner!

On Monday I just had a swim. So, I just swam. Like a good girl. I follow rules. And, then I worked all day – tried to get through as much work as I could so that I could play a bit. Oh and had a nice lunch with my old co-worker/boss!

Tuesday rolled in and I was up to do my brick and out of the house by 5:30am. You would think that I would sleep in….and that would have been nice but I had an appointment mid-morning! During my brick I felt…good but it was hot and humid (for once here) and I was a little nauseous. I went to my appointment and still felt OFF. SUPER tired and nauseous. Came home and took a NAP. Yes, I napped. WHO naps at 2:00? Oh right, I do without kids! I had dinner plans with my mom/sister and I started to not feel any better. In fact, my stomach hurt. My stomach never hurts. I just wanted to sleep and/or throw up. I barely ate dinner (not like me) and we went to see Bridesmaids….cute movie.

And, that was the extent of my week. From that forward on (overnight Tuesday into Wednesday AM) I was a hot mess. I spent the night tossing and turning, feeling sick…and wanting to vomit and all that good stuff.

I should have known. The kids PLUS Jerome had the flu last week.

On Wednesday…let’s just say it was a bad day. You know that sickness where you cannot watch TV OR even get on the computer? That was me. I have not been that sick in years. I laid (yes laid) on the bathroom floor praying that I would just feel better and I was dripping in sweat and it was not pretty. I had to practice my BIRTHING breathing. Seriously.

And so went my week. RIGHT down the toilet, literally. NO training (of course), no dinner out with friends, no swim race, NOTHING but feeling so awful for days that all I could do after Wednesday was work. NICE.

And, then I had a Sprint Triathlon to race on Sunday. NOW by Friday I was moving ok and functioning and eating real food. That is the kicker – SO low on food that you get into a huge hole. I slept a ton. I ate as much good food as I could. I felt so-so on Friday but was out and about a bit. On Saturday I got on my bike – before I went to pick up the kids from camp – and I rode easy and I was so weak. I thought…..uh oh….but each day I felt a little better – you know how that goes.

I went to bed at 8.30pm while watching LOCK UP (don’t be jealous). My race started at 6.30am the next morning!

This race is so fun. Rolling old school I call it. It has been around for so long – I actually did it in the mid-late 90s and then I didn’t do it as much and then I did it last year and had so much fun that I had to do it again this year. Since it is local, there are so many old friends there, people I used to race against years ago and it is just so fun! And, that sometimes is what we need!

I warmed up and felt – well, my legs were TOTALLY FRESH but I was a little flat just b/c I was still recovering from the flu…I started in the 1st wave. It was fun to know ½ the wave and chit chat before the start! The swim is 1/2mile or so – maybe shorter – and I was able to get out so it was not too aggressive for me. I am always trying to beat my friend Dean out of the water – but he beat me by 35” – that is a lot of time in a sprint! Anyway, I was 3rd or so on the bike I think? And, first women. Off I went.

Bike was fun. I think it was 14 miles – very technical in neighborhood kind of race. But, it was fun and SO early (like 6.45am on a Sunday) so we had full open roads. FUN! I actually felt good on the ride…and then off on the run. When I first started on the run I felt super in the legs but I needed a HAMBURGER feeling so I had a gel (this race took me 80 minutes total) and I felt a little better.

I never saw another female that day. My friend Eric DeWitt – who I was trash talking all week – came running by me like I was standing still – he was running sub 6 min pace. And, he did end up beating me (clearly). So I need to stop trash talking now! Point made!

Anyway, I had fun. I raced well. I won. I smiled. I talked too much. I high fived my friends. My friends and athletes had great races. The sun was shining and it was a perfect day. My good friend, Dean won for the men. Dean was the best training partner back in the day (before Kids). And, I was at my parents house eating eggs and quiona at 10:30am. Goes to show you can make lemonade out of lemons!!!

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend – an awesome weekend of racing! And, thanks to Kate G and Karen K who came out and cheered for us at 6am!

Here is a pic of Jeff, Dean, myself and Eric at the Awards ceremony!

Making Lemonade!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *